Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reading Anime 004: Porco Rosso (1992) by Hayao Miyazaki

Based on the previews, this was a film I was looking forward to seeing it. 

The movie is about an Italian pilot who has been transformed by a curse into a pig-like humanoid. It is set in the Adriatic Sea between the World Wars. He hires himself out as a flying bounty hunter to fight against the seaplane pirates who menace the islands thereabout. He and the American pilot Curtis fight for the affections of the fair Gina, chanteuse and owner of the local nightclub.

I was somewhat disappointed by the film. As usual from Studio Ghibli, the film was splendidly animated. But again, I felt the story was rather thin. There really wasn't much meaningful conflict in it, I thought. (Fascist Italy lingered as a menace in the background, but never really materialized as a threat. Which left us solely with the seaplane pirates as comic villains.) 

Many of these films I plan on re-watching later to see if I appreciate them more on second watching. My hope is this one is one that I do end up liking more.

No comments:

Post a Comment